The NTA has prescribed official eligibility criteria for aspirants who wish to appear for JEE MAIN 2019 exam. It is important for every student to ensure and adopt such eligibility before even filling in the application forms for the exam. It is important for students to follow these norms as without fulfilling these norms, no aspirant will be allowed to sit for the exam.
To know in detail about the eligibility norms in terms of age, education, number of attempts, qualifying subjects and many other factors, continue reading this article and do keep a note of the important aspects.
JEE MAIN 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The following are the age limit for the JEE MAINS exam 2019:
- Students who are born on or after 1st October 1994 are eligible for the exam.
- Students of SC/ST and PWD category must have born on or after 1st October 1989. The reserved category students have an age relaxation of 5 years.
Note – The Date of Birth of candidates will be considered only from the 10th or secondary education Board/University certificate. Make sure to have the certificate in original during the application process.
Read more: JEE Main 2019 Application form Apply Now
Students must have the following education:
- Must have completed 12th Standard from recognized board/institute in the year 2017 or 2018.
- Students appearing for class 12th exam in 2019 are also eligible for the exam.
Studied Subjects in 12th Standard
Students are required to study at least 5 subjects in their 12th Class.
For B.Tech and B.E paper subjects should be:
- Any subject from-biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Technical vocational subject.
- Any other subject
For B.Arch/B.planning paper subjects should be:
- Mathematics (mandatory)
- Any subject
- Any subject from-Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biology and technical vocational subject.
JEE MAIN 2019 Eligibility Criteria- Number of Attempts
The students can only apply for the exam 3 times in a consecutive row. If the students have taken up the exam before in 2016, 2017 and 2018, then they cannot appear for the exam now in 2019.
Minimum Marks in 12th Standard for Admission in NITs/IIITs/GFTIs
In order to secure the dream college under-B.Tech, B.E, B.Arch, and B.planning, students need to secure the following minimum marks in their class 12th.
- Must have scored at least 75% marks in Class 12th examination or be in the top 20 percentile in boards exam.
- The SC/ST students must have scored at least 65% marks in their class 12th Board examination.
What if students do not have a required pass percentage in class 12th, will they be allowed?
If the students have all the other eligibility norms fulfilled but do not have required passing percentage in class 12th, then they can sit for the improvement exam.
- Improvement exam for 1 or 2 subjects (not all) – In such a case, the original passing year of the student will be considered.
- Improvement exam for all the subjects- The year in which students will appear for all the subjects of the examination will be considered for eligibility.
Eligibility Criteria for Dropout Students
Students who have dropped a year after 12th standard need to follow below-mentioned eligibility norms-
- Unreserved students must have born on or after 1st October 1994, reserved students (SC/ST/PWD) must have born on or after 1st October 1989.
- Must have completed their 12th standard in 2017 or 2018.
- Unreserved students must have scored 75% and reserved students (SC/ST) must have scored 65% in their 12th Board examination.
- There should be 5 subjects studied in class 12th including Physics and Mathematics as compulsory.
Before filling in the JEE MAIN 2019 applications, make sure to meet the JEE MAIN 2019 eligibility criteria.